I was born in Kerinci. My real name Zulkifli. However, many people call me as Zhu Qincay. Being a photographer to me was an accident. It was when big earthquake hit Sumatra Island in 2009. And I had listed myself as a volunteer since the disaster occured in my front yard. I was then assigned to documenting the other volunteers’ activities.
Mid 2013, Agence France Presse (AFP) asked me to be their contributor in West Sumatra, because I live in the province’s capital, Padang. In between, I was also trusted as a contributor for European Pressphoto Agency (EPA). I began freelancing to different media and involved in different photo projects since 2017.
So basically, I learned photography by doing it. And I was fortunate that I get to be in the path where I can learn from some of the best Indonesian photojournalists. When I got accepted as one out of eight 2017 Permata Photojournalist Grant, an intensive photo workshop known for their documentary approach in Indonesia, my work was selected as the best in the 2017 program. I was mentored by an Indonesian photographer Edi Purnomo, Sasa Kralj (Croatian veteran photographer), and Jenny Smets (Director of Photography in Vrij Nederland magazine).
Today, I currently divide my time both in Sumatra and Jakarta, working on personal projects and taking assignments for editorial works and corporate. And I am also a co-founder of Sumatra Sumatra (a collective documentary project about Sumatra Island) and Sore Rabu Project (photography discussion class in West Sumatera).
- Distributed photographs for Agence France Presse / AFP (2013)
- Distributed photographs for European Pressphoto Agency / EPA (2013-2017)
- Independent photographer (present)
National Geographic Traveler Indonesia | DestinAsian Indonesia | Colours Magazine | Agence France Presse | European Pressphoto Agency | The Guardian | Spiegel | The Washington Post | Aljazeera | Los Angeles Times | The Seattle Time | The Boston Globe | Bote | New Strait Time | DPA International | The National | Der Farang | Global Times | Gulf News UEA | Gulf Time Qatar | Hirado | The Straits Times | Mizzima Myanmar | BBC Indonesia | Beritagar.id | The Jakarta Globe | Seribu Kata | Jalan Jalan Magazine | Lion In Flight Magazine | Travelounge Magazine | Sriwijaya In Flight Magazine | CHIP Foto Video Magazine | Tribun Jakarta | Travel Fotografi Magazine | ……..
- Best Photo Story Permata Photojournalist Grant 2017 (2018)
- 2nd Place Photo Essay (2013) Anugerah Pewarta Foto Indonesia V / Indonesia Photojournalist Awards (2015)
- 1st Place Hamdan International Photography Awards for General Pivot Category (2012)
- 1st Place Culture Photo Competition President Indonesia (2012)
- Finalist Culture Photo Competition President Indonesia (2011)
- “Lara Muara” in Permata Photojournalist Grant 2017 Exhibition, Erasmus Huis, Jakarta (2018)
- “Monkey Market” in Anugerah Pewarta Foto Indonesia V / Indonesia Photojournalist Awards Photo Exhibition, Jakarta (2015)
- “Monkey Market” in Photo Exhibition of West Sumatera Best Photographers, West Sumatera (2015)
- “The Pacu Jawi” in Photo Exhibition of Hamdan International Photography Award, Dubai (2012)
- “Gigik Ikua” in Photo Exhibition of Culture Photo Competition President Indonesia, Jakarta (2012)
- “The Spirit of Pacu Jawi” in Photo Exhibition of Culture Photo Competition President Indonesia, Jakarta (2011)
I would be honored to talk with you about assignments, projects and anything about photography.
Email : zhu[at]zhuqincay.com
Phone : +62 852 64 186 757 (Indonesia)
or fill the form below and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.